Tuesday 11 March 2014

Editing

Since returning back to school I have been put in charge of editing all our clips together. Since doing this I have realised that our strongest cuts were those that were took outside rather than the inside shots. Due to the feedback we received from our teachers we decided to reshoot some of the shots towards the beginning of the title sequence.

When removing Megan's parts we decided to work on the image of the shots. As Thrillers usually have dark storylines, we decided to create the sequence in black and white. I think this is the best method for us as we filmed our work in the light to get clear detail of our characters on shot. The black and white editing blocks off the sense of it because a sunny day which it was.




To create that sharp and dark black and white, I used the filters 'saturation' and levels'
The saturation has been set to -1 so there is no colour left and to brighten up the black and white I decided to play around with the levels.
For the levels of the clips I used:
  • Input: 50
  • Input Tolerance: 100
  • Gamma: 1.41
  • Output: 43
  • Output Tolerance: 68
I also added transitions to the individual clips so the clips cut smoothly together. The transitions I used were 'cross dissolve' but I may change this when we have our finalised clips on final cut. I feel like the cross dissolve works well for our clips because a few seconds are being passed between each cut when the doctor is following Maria.


Despite the reshooting of some of the clips, I am feeling quite confident with the editing of our title sequence. I feel as if we have a wide range of editing techniques played in our title sequence and the reshooting will be fairly easy for our group as we know what style we're going for. Most of the shots were correctly done and cut well together which I was worrying about before starting my editing in Final Cut. I think our Continuity workshop at the beginning of the year was really beneficial to me because I felt more confident when using the tools on the programme.


No comments:

Post a Comment